Sunday 5 June 2011

At the movies

I have seen quite a few movies over the last month of so and here are some of my recommendations and links to other sources of information.

OF GODS AND MEN Wonderful, highly recommended. It is based on a true story, set in the early 1990s about a group of French Trappist monks living under the threat of hostile elements in the Algerian community where the monastery is located. 5 stars

GET LOW
I found this very slow moving, but it has some wonderful acting from Robert Duvall, Bill Murray and Sissy Spacek. 3 stars

SNOWTOWN
Oh dear I can't rate this, other than saying it is horrid and I felt quite traumatised after some scenes. In fact we walked out after 45 minutes. I agreed to see it without really finding out what it was about…silly me.

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS oh yeah, it is a bit Hollywood but a good 1930s Depression time period piece and I did not mind that it was quite changed from the book. Austrian actor Christoph Waltz steals the show. 4 stars.

INCENDIES a very grim story of war and its impact in Lebanon, but well done. There are some excellent French Canadian films around. 4 1/2 stars

HERE I AM I can really recommend this - a great new Aussie film, well told story of indigenous woman's struggle coming out of gaol and moving into a women’s refuge in North Adelaide to get her life together. It’s sad but also inspirational, battling against the odds, with some wonderful funny moments and great music. The Aboriginal cast are wonderful and include some experienced actors and some new faces. Warwick Thornton (of Samson and Delilah) is the cinematographer. The film premiered to a standing ovation at the Adelaide Film Festival earlier this year and I can see why. 5 stars.

No comments: