Friday 1 June 2012

Animalia with sound

I'm doing the "blog every day of June" (an Australian librarian venture) again this year. So I thought I would talk about some of the great iPad apps i have been discovering.

25 years ago Graeme Base’s wonderful picture book, Animalia, was published

Now there is an Animalia iPad app with all the endless possibilities you can imagine. Zooming in and out of the gloriously detailed illustrations, voice narration of the story and, most impressive ... wild animal SOUNDS. But be warned the sound effects will leave your work colleagues in fits of laughter!

Here's some of the blurb about the app:

“The ANIMALIA App features every illustration of the classic picture book in beautiful, zoomable detail and features three separate gameplays:

EXPLORE ANIMALIA. Find over a hundred items scattered through the artwork - learn their names and hear what they sound like

GO GET GRAEME Play against the clock - easy, medium or hard. Once you find him, he pops up, waves and heads off to hide again. But next time you look he is hiding somewhere else!

WHAT IN THE WORLD...? The most challenging game (provided you can resist tapping for clues). Figure out what the mystery shape is, then go find it in the artwork for maximum points. Complete all 26 pages to reveal the secret sequence of letters and claim your reward."
Go Get Graeme is a lot of fun and he is quite tricky to find.

There is also a Butterly Builder game which was working for me, but now is not. Maybe I need to re-download the app?

the Animalia app is A$4.49 from the iTunes App Store.

Looking forward to hearing of any other children's book apps you have found :)

4 comments:

KRidwyn said...

I love the idea of posting favourite Apps! Will definitely be following your #blogjune posts with interest!

JayGee said...

thanks, I'm always interested in hearing what apps other have found too

Kellymhall said...

I think I'm going to have to download that! Animalia was one of my favourite books when I was in primary school. I renewed it that many times that the library officer 'suggested' to my parents that they buy me a copy - and I still have it!

JayGee said...

you would LOVE it, but of course the original print book is fantastic and the iPad version no replacement IMHO!